Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Volunteer Testimony: LHBC (July 2012)


In November of 2010 when my husband was asked to join a team to Niger, I supported him fully.  However, I cautioned him that while I could support him from home it was not my time to go.  We have two small children and at that moment I could never dream of leaving them to go across the globe.   Yet, when he returned I could see his passion and zeal for the Songhai.  I heard him tell about believer after believer who followed God no matter what the cost.  He glowed when he told stories, he prayed fervently over prayer cards for brothers he met around the world, and even led our oldest daughter to pray nightly "for the people of Africa." I saw something different in him, and it was something, I wanted to experience, too.

So,  I sought God's will for this area in my life.  I prayed personally that God would give me a peace about leaving our daughter's.  I prayed he would send help to take care of our children when I was away. I prayed that he would provide financially for my trip. I sought wise counsel from other believers, and other mothers.  I also was in the word seeking His will. 

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 spoke to me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I witnessed God's sovereignty.  His plan was perfect.  I was weak, yet through Him I could be strong.  From the day, I left our church in Bowling Green for Africa, I have felt the hand of God each step I took. 

Did I cry when I was not home for my daughter's 3rd birthday, and my 37th birthday?  Yes, but I was encouraged by other team members during those difficult times.  And my motherly soul was filled by missionary's children instead of my own.  I celebrated across the globe without my immediate family, yet I was filled.  I experienced a glimpse of pure joy.

God also showed me through my ministry time, He is perfect.  He made divine appointments for our team each day in the field.  He provided eager women to listen to His word.  He provided a multitude of children for us to teach songs, share the love of Jesus. He allowed my ears to hear testimonies of national partners who faced persecution.  Ultimately, he allowed me to be His light in a dark place. 

This trip embarrassed me, humbled me, blessed me, taught me, filled me, and challenged me. I fully experienced walking in the center of God's will.  And all I did to receive these blessings was be obedient.  God is good!

- LeAnn C, Living Hope Baptist Church (Bowling Green, Ky)


No comments:

Post a Comment